Subletting Your Suite
As a resident of VEDA, you can sublet your suite for a period of 30 days or more. Read below to understand your responsibilities, learn some great tips for a smooth subletting experience, and to fill out our Sublet Application when you have secured a sublet.
- Your sublet must be a student & approved by VEDA management
- Your sublet arrangement must be for a minimum of 30 days (no AirBnB-style rentals)
- If you are terminating your lease at the end of August, your sublet must move out and return your keys on the last day of your lease (August 27th by 2:00 PM) – please make this clear, no late move-outs
- You remain our Tenant and you act as the Landlord to your sublet (you continue to pay rent to VEDA, your sublet pays their rent to you)
We find the best place to post your available sublet is on Facebook – students seem to look there first for shorter-term rentals. You can also post on Kijiji, Castanet, or any other local websites. We also have a Sublets Available at VEDA Facebook page where our tenants advertise their suites; we refer prospective sublets to the Facebook pages if they are looking for a short-term rental at our locations throughout the year.
TIP: Always post photos when you advertise your suite! Bonus points if they are of your actual clean suite and include the view out your window.
1. When you have a prospective sublet lined up, confirm they are a student by receiving a copy of their Student ID. Next, please fill out the Sublet Application.
2. VEDA management will review the application & provide approval via email.
- If approved, we recommend you sign an agreement with them (template below)
- If not approved, please proceed to secure another suitable sublet
3. Secure a deposit from your sublet. In BC, a deposit can not be more than half a month’s rent. We also recommend that you arrange a monthly rent payment method. (Remember: you still pay rent to VEDA as the original tenant, your sublet pays their rent to you)
4. When your sublet agreement is signed & you have received a deposit, communicate your successful sublet arrangement to VEDA management by replying to the sublet approval email. Any tenant who sublets their suite must confirm the arrangement so that VEDA is aware of all residents on our property. Failure to update management could result in a fine or eviction. TIP: Use our templates below that you can modify to suit your agreed-upon terms. If you make any edits, simply cross out or add items; have yourself and your sublet initial beside the change(s).
5. We encourage you to do a Condition Inspection Report with your sublet so you inspect the suite together (keep the original, give a copy to your sublet). It’s also a good idea to take pictures before handing over your suite to your sublet. Keep in mind: At the end of your tenancy, we do a move-out inspection and as our tenant, you will be expected to leave behind a clean suite. You will be responsible for any repairs or extra cleaning required.